Guernsey Chamber of Commerce
Job Description and Person Specification
The Guernsey Chamber of Commerce is a very active member–led organisation working to support local business and to represent their interests. We provide a strong voice for the business community and help promote Guernsey as a world class destination for business and leisure. This important role requires energy and enthusiasm as well as considerable commitment, diplomacy, commercial acumen and operational efficiency. The role is varied and demanding, but offers a unique opportunity to work with a wide range of businesses towards the overall goal of helping to grow a more prosperous and successful local economy in Guernsey.
The Guernsey Chamber of Commerce is one of the oldest Chamber in the world and although in existence in 1769, was officially formed in 1808 when Daniel De Lyle Brock was appointed as it’s the first President. Since then the Guernsey Chamber has grown steadily to become one of the key representational groups in Guernsey with:
• Some 600 members employing around 12,000 people
• A good mix of member businesses including sole traders, small businesses, SMEs and larger employers – representing the private, public and third sectors
• A committed and representative Board of Directors nominated by members and ratified at our lively and well attended AGM
• A well-established media profile and a reputation for being a strong voice for business
• A lively annual programme of topical events designed to support and educate local businesses.
• Influence and impact at the heart of local economic development and with a wide range of stakeholders
• A good reputation as the leading business membership organisation in Guernsey
• A not-for-profit company with annual turnover of circa £130,00K and a team of 3 talented staff
• A modern and well equipped rented office suite on Guernsey’s waterfront
• A healthy bank balance, with small surpluses recorded in most operating years
• A strong local brand,
For the most comprehensive summary of what we do, refer to our website and main social media channels Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook. Candidates selected for interview will be
expected to be fully familiar with the content of these communication channels.
Section 1 – Job Description
The Director is accountable to the Chamber’s Board of Directors and has lead responsibility for running the business and successful operations on a day to day basis. The Board sets strategic direction and is responsible for governance and accountability to our member shareholders. We are aiming for an annual member retention level in excess of 80% and to steadily improve member satisfaction levels and membership. This role will be core to achieving that ambition. Regular tasks include –
• Serve and represent the interests of members
• Manage and coordinate all operational activities
• Lead and motivate the staff team
• Monitor and improve procedures, processes and operational activities
• Provide operational and strategic advice to the President and the Board of Directors
• Grow membership, turnover and profitability
• Implement the strategic objectives set by the Board, draft and implement the business plan
• Prepare for meetings of the Board working closely with the President
• Oversee financial accounting including preparation of management accounts and forecasts’
• Lead on media and public relations – broadcast, print, TV and radio etc.
• Recruit and manage employees and volunteers
• Ensure good record keeping and maintenance of databases and IT equipment
• Represent the Chamber locally, nationally and internationally as required
• Manage and coordinate several key relationships, for example local and national government agencies.
More detailed responsibilities:
• Directs and organises specific projects.
• Plans and arranges meetings, supervises the preparation of communications, reports and other publications.
• Controls and monitors expenditure. Prepares annual budget and forecasts for approval by the Board of Directors; approves expenditure in line with the Governance Framework and procurement guidelines.
• Directs all membership growth efforts. Monitors record keeping and works closely with the Membership Manager to report progress to the Board and ensuring targets are met.
• Deploys staff, performance appraisal, coaching, organises personal development and training, handles disciplinary matters and employment policy matters.
• Ensures Chamber policy, as established by the Board, is properly recorded. Assist the Board, members and the staff in interpretation of policy.
• Under the direction of the Board of Directors, maintain continuity and consistency in Board and Chamber governance procedures.
• Work closely and productively with a wide range of community and civic organizations.
• Responsible for directing all external communications and maintaining high quality standards of correspondence, publications, and press releases etc.
• Public Speaking at appropriate meetings, events, conferences, business and award dinners and business breakfasts.
• Directs office maintenance, including replacement of equipment.
Section 2 – Core Competences
Customer focus and team working Adopt a highly customer focused approach with members, partners and stakeholders. Be an inspiring leader and a collaborative and supportive colleague. Actively contribute to a positive and friendly working environment. Coach and support the team, interns and individuals on work placement. Cost effectiveness and efficiency Plan and organise activities, appointments, travel and expenses etc to achieve good value for money, minimise running costs and make efficient use of time. Allocate personal time carefully in the context of the business plan objectives.
Section 3 – Person Specification
This high-profile role requires a strong mix of leadership, management, relationship building and advanced communication skills. Candidates will have a successful track record in senior management and building effective working relationships, coupled with inspiring leadership qualities to motivate our small team and many working partners. You are likely to be well regarded in your field of knowledge and expertise, generating respect and credibility with ease. You will implement the strategic objectives set by our all-member Board of Directors and must be creative and resourceful enough to ensure we continue to offer a compelling range of useful services and benefits.
Qualifications/Experience A background in senior management and success in business is likely to have a good fit with this role. You must have a demonstrable track record of successfully managing complex projects, developing high performance teams and successfully juggling competing priorities
• Strong track record (at least 5 years) in a relevant senior management role.
• Experienced team leader (at least 5 years) able to motivate and inspire direct reports, undertake performance appraisal, coaching and identify training needs and skills gap
• Expert budget manager, including cost monitoring and financial reporting
• Highly self-motivated and taking personal responsibility for managing the workload
• Confident and convincing public speaker
• A natural team player and knowledge-sharer who shares and applies best practice for the benefit of the business and the team
• Can do’ attitude to addressing challenges and opportunities.
• Excellent oral and written communication, experience with Microsoft Office packages
• Demonstrable track record of success in demanding customer-facing roles desirable
• All social media including some website management.
• Xero accounting software use and application
Terms and Conditions
The successful candidate will initially be employed on three months’ probation. A permanent contract will be offered thereafter, subject to satisfactory completion of the probationary period. This is a full-time role of 35 hours weekly (09-00 -16.00), but with regular unsociable hours (including evenings and early mornings) to participate in most Chamber events. Salary dependent on skills and experience.
Applications by closing date Friday 31 March 2017, by email with CV and covering letter to: Martyn Dorey – firstname.lastname@example.org